How I have been filled today. I just love conference time and the many words I am given to feast upon. It started last week with the Relief Society meeting. I was inspired by all the talks, in particular President Uchtdorf. But today, among the many I was inspired and touched by Elder Anderson's talk, on so many levels.
He so eloquently stated how the decisions on the number of children you have is personal decision and between you, your spouse, and the Lord. He talked on the heart break there is when marriage is wanted, and/or children are desired, but aren't found. But what touched me most is his quote that the world standards and the Lord's standards are growing further apart. At this time in my life I see it most with mine and Troy's decision to have children, or should I say 'so many'.
I can't go anywhere these days without someone commenting on the boys. Most comments are nice, or at least are meant to be nice, "You sure have your hands full!" "Are all these yours?"
But lately I have noticed the comments have gradually gotten, for the lack of a better word, meaner. "You are crazy!" "How can you hope to raise all of your kids well?"
I have wondered why there is more negative judgement on the decision to have a larger family, but as Elder Anderson stated, the world would have you delay children, or to look on having children being low on your priority list.
But I want to add my testimony to Elder Anderson's and say that having a family, how ever big or small it is, is my priority. I will do what is required to first, love the Lord, and then second to love myself and my family. This is my work and my glory!
6 comments:
I instantly thought of our discussion this week as I heard this talk too! What a wonderful message- I love Conference- it speaks to us individually and I really needed to hear that. Enjoy today too!
Rachel, I love it! You seem to be a great mother and a wonderful sister in the gospel. Way to go with your big family:) I hope to see you again sometime and we can have a long talk about motherhood and all that goes with it.
I was trying to think of some words of wisdom that I could give to you about this. I have often found a response of "#@%!!" ends the discussion quite quickly, but after watching conference maybe that is not the best thing.
A quick kick to the stomach works as well, but then again, maybe not.
"Did your Mom have any children that lived?"
Just smile and stare until they walk away!
Let me know if you need any more unsolicited advice!
I totally agree. The judgement of the world on families these days is shocking. I get it too, with my 4 crazies- having twins make it worse. I get the "you are crazy" often. I frequently get "2 boys, 2 girls- perfect, of course you are done." I always think- what right do you have to decide when we are done or what is perfect? that is between me, Aaron and Heavenly father.
I too loved that talk. When he started out by the Lord's command still applies to multiply and replenish the earth, I thought well we are doing our part. ;] I am so glad he continued on in such an inspirational way as to help those of us who are raising so many childern and those who have that desire and can't. It was a very good talk. You are a wonderful mother and are doing an excellent job at raising all those boys. I love you and am so happy for you and your family.
Beautifully said Rachel! Oh my goodness...I get the same comments--people look at me like I am crazy!! (Most days i do feel this way) BUT what a blessing it is to be a mother and a mother of lots of kiddos!! Keep it up-- you're an amazing mother!!!
Post a Comment