Bailey Family

Bailey Family

Friday, May 14, 2010

Do You Like Being A Mom?



Parker has this ability to ask frank, deep, and thought provoking questions. I am usually the 'person of interest' that he questions, though he did ask Sarah some good questions when they came down for their last visit.

Parker: "Sarah, what is the hardest this you ever did?"
Sarah: Having just completed the half marathon earlier that day said, "Running 13.1 miles".
Parker: "What is the most borest thing you ever done?"
Sarah: "I don't know? What is yours?"
Parker: "Mine is going to church. It is SO boring!" (This would be sacrament meeting. He loves primary.)

A couple of weeks ago, Parker asked me his most frank, deep, thought provoking questions to date. Let me set the stage a little. It was just after dinner. So despite feeling like I was going to toss my cookies at any minute, I had put together something for the family to eat, and was now facing the task of cleaning up the spoils of my labor. Dylan has been fussing most of the day. And wanted a drink of juice, no milk, no make that juice. But then on second thought, he thought he just want that milk he had been insisting on. I was tired, had morning sickness, and was ready to clock out. I had both the milk and the juice on the counter. I firmly placed Dylan's sippy on the counter and let out an impatient sigh.

This is when Parker question comes. "Mom, do you like being a Mom?"

Wow. Did that make me stop and think.

Some days it does seem a little tempting to go to work. To have someone give you a lunch break, and a couple of 15 minute breaks. To get those progress reports that tell you how well you are doing. To have yearly interviews, and raises, bonuses.

But then I think back to the time after I had just had Andrew. Despite the fact that he didn't sleep very well, and Troy was working and going to school full time, I remember I would wake up each morning happy. Completely happy. I never woke up for my 9-5 job happy. But when I would wake up for my mommy job, I was happy. I had joy.

Now there are some days that I don't wake up happy. In fact, there are days that I think I should just go back to bed. There are days that being a mom challenges every mental, physical, and emotional fiber that I have.

But to answer Parker's question. Yes. I love being a mom. There is nothing that would ever be more full filling to me that the job I have now and will have forever.

Now the challenge is to make sure my actions speak just as loud as my words.

10 comments:

aunt kissen said...

Beautifully said!

Joyce said...

Oh, I didn't know you will be welcoming a new little Bailey into your family. That is so great! Your boys are thinkers, that's for sure, and so smart!

Ben and Heidi said...

I needed your (and your son's) wisdom this week. It's been one of those weeks for me too. Congrats on your news! I'm expecting too and as always, am feeling the irritation and emotional drain that comes with the changing hormones. Sometimes we need to put things in perspective and I'm glad you did that for me today.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! Rachel, you are a great Mom! We are all so proud of you!

Michelle and Nathan said...

What a great reminder to all of us Moms who love being Mommy, but sometimes forget to show it. Thanks.

Lexie said...

What a smart little boy and an even smarter mommy. Way to think through your answer on an especially tiring day and congratulations on your big news!

Braden Bell said...

Great thoughts, Ratch. Thanks for making me think.

Asher and Amy said...

I loved this post! You are a great Mom! Thanks for the reminders. Congrats on the baby!

Beesley Family said...

Just so you know...I needed this post!! Very well said!! Being a mom can test your every fiber of your being--physically, mentally etc.--some days it is sooo tiring!!! But soo worth it...and yes, the best job ever!!! It was refreshing to hear about your day---and a great reminder for me!!!!

Sandra Nixon said...

Ok, somehow i missed this post back in may...You are pregnant with number 4!?!? Awesome, what a woman! Congrats. Do you know the gender? Please let us know!