This past week was one for the books for me. Let me start the story, though, two years ago.
I had decided to sign up for the half marathon here and was coming to the end of my training when I found out I was pregnant with 'W'. The half marathon was only a few weeks away, so I thought that I would go ahead and do the race, but there came a point when I realized that I either needed to do the race or be pregnant so I backed out of the race. I was so disappointed as I had made it a goal to do a half marathon 10 years prior.
Now, fast forward to this past week. My brother-in-law had signed up for the half marathon here but a week ago he got the news that his grandfather passed away. He and my sister flew out to the funeral and he wouldn't be back in time for the race. I made some phone calls to runner friends in my ward to see if anyone wanted to use the registration, but didn't have any takers. On Wednesday I was talking with Troy and telling him how I had called all these people, and everyone had already signed up for the race, when he said to me, "Why don't you run the half marathon?" Now this thought had been in the back of my mind, but the half was in three days and the furthest I had run this year was four miles. How could I do it? People train for months for these, am I in good enough shape to do this in THREE days? But I thought, you know it is a perfect time, not being pregnant or nursing, and if nothing else, it would be fun to experience it.
I called my dad, who is running a marathon in two weeks (go Dad!), and he gave me some great advice. According to his training program, as I can run at an eight minute mile pace, if I was to run for three minutes/walk for one minute averaging a ten minute mile pace, I could finish the marathon in two hours ten minutes. He said to really push myself on the walking portion, as that would be easier to increase my pace then compared to trying to run faster. This plan seemed doable, more doable than my original plan. I thought I would run the first five to six miles and then run walk the rest. But my dad pointed out that it would be better to save my energy in the beginning and then gun it at the end of the race if I had energy.
So with the two men in my life who know me the best and love me the most cheering me on, giving me their support, I knew I could do this.
So Saturday morning, I met my two other friends and we drove down to the starting line. Not to bore you with yet more details, but the race was amazing. The run three walk one was perfect for me. Instead of focusing on the mile I was on and how many more miles I had, I just focused on running for those three minutes, and then getting my mental focus back during the minute walk. And the weather was great, I was worried as it had been hot and muggy the week prior. As I was finishing up the race, running the last half mile, it hit me that I was able to finish what I had started two years ago. In a way, that heart ache I felt from not being able to accomplish my goal was paid back to me.
I finished at 2:11:12.
5 comments:
This is such an inspiring moment! I only wish I could have been there & shared it with you.
It's the first time in my life that any of my kids listened to me! :).
Great run Rachie!
YOU.ARE.AMAZING!
Way to go. You are inspiring.
I fine this completely incredible!! Even if I was in shape- I couldn't imagine running! You are amazing! :)
Post a Comment