Aunts have such an important role in our lives. Along the side of our mothers, they have at an early age, a direct impact on our lives. They see us grow up. They see our triumphs and they our heartaches. They are on the sidelines of our lives cheering us along, giving us words of encouragement.
I have been truly best with some of the worlds greatest aunts. I know how deeply they love me and they have always seen a potential in me. They have made me feel as though I could do anything. I often think of the different aspects of my character and many things I have packed in my 'character suitcase' come from the examples and influence of my aunts.
On Sunday afternoon my dad called with the news that my Aunt Ila had passed away. She had health problems, but it was still sudden and unexpected. As always comes with a passing, I have thought a lot about Aunt Ila this week. I have thought about the many things that she gave me in my life, but I feel the most important thing she gave me, along the side of her unconditional love, is memories.
She was a great story teller, and loved a good scary story. She would have the whole family, at the time 50+ of us, captivated with her stories. There were many a camp out and family reunion that she would scare the pants off of us all, but my imagination would be filled her stories.
Every year she got each family a Hallmark Christmas ornament. As we would unpack the ornaments for the Christmas tree, my favorite was the Hallmark ornament.
But the memory I will always treasure is our Sunday visits to Grandpa and Grandma's house, where she would sit and listen with rapped attention to my little life. She would often sit and tickle my back as we would visit. There was always a feeling of security with Aunt Ila.
As I am here, so far away from home and don't have the opportunity to attend her funeral, I'll take this time to mourn the passing of Aunt Ila. How I love her and can't wait to be reunited with her.
No comments:
Post a Comment