
I’ve been thinking a lot about my dad lately and different memories that I have of him. I thought I would write them down and post them so my family and friends can see my dad through my eyes. So the following are jumbled memories that I have of my dad. I'm grateful for the memories yet to be made.
One day I had forgotten my lunch when I went to school. When I called home to tell my mom, she said that my dad was home that morning and she would have him bring me my lunch. I was so excited and I wanted my friend to see my dad. I had her come and wait out in front of the school so she could see him to. He came driving up in his blue pickup truck and gave me my lunch. As he pulled away I remember feeling proud and saying to my friend, “Isn’t my dad handsome!”
There are 8 girls and 1 boy in my family and the boy came second to last. My dad always enjoyed fishing, and I always enjoyed fishing with him. We would wake up early Saturday mornings and just the two of us would go fishing. As we would drive to the various fishing locations, if we saw road kill on the way, my dad would say that was a good omen of a good fishing day. I remember him teaching me how to gut a fish. That was, um, memorable.
There are many memories that I have watching my dad and being amazed at his patience as he dealt with the different quarrels that would arise with 4 or more teenage girls in the house.
I remember one night after dinner I asked my dad what he was doing that night. He said, “I don’t know.” And then went around the table and asked each one of us if we needed any help with homework. It struck me that he put his family first before himself. He was always there when I had a math problem.
My dad has a wonderful sense of humor and would often tease us. I remember one time I had tried out for the high school choir. My dad teased me that I would show up to school one day and that a good friend of mine would be dressed in their PJ”s and I would find out that in the morning they had kidnapped all the people that made the choir and I would find out that I hadn’t made the choir. Well, that week I went to school and my friend was in her PJ”s. She then told me that they had kidnapped everyone who had made the choir that morning. It was a blunt way to find out I hadn’t made the choir. I came home devastated and was hesitant to tell my dad. When he found out though, he pulled me into the den and said, “You know Rachel, the same thing happened to me.” At these times he often would pull out his scriptures and relate a gospel story to me to help me with my perspective.
When I was 12 I asked for a Franklin Day Planner for Christmas. My dad had one, and I always thought how efficient it was. My dad had attended a Franklin Covey training and when I got my planner he pulled me aside one day and taught me all that he had learned in the training on how to budget my time, how to set priorities, and the ins and outs of the planner. He was always a wonderful teacher.
I was listening to a news program that said how people envision Heavenly Father to have characteristics of their fathers. The people on the program talked about how their father’s were dictators and unapproachable. I felt so grateful that I had a father how lead with kindness and humor.
Those are just a few memories that I have been thinking about lately. I have always looked up to and admired my dad.
I love you, Dad.
One day I had forgotten my lunch when I went to school. When I called home to tell my mom, she said that my dad was home that morning and she would have him bring me my lunch. I was so excited and I wanted my friend to see my dad. I had her come and wait out in front of the school so she could see him to. He came driving up in his blue pickup truck and gave me my lunch. As he pulled away I remember feeling proud and saying to my friend, “Isn’t my dad handsome!”
There are 8 girls and 1 boy in my family and the boy came second to last. My dad always enjoyed fishing, and I always enjoyed fishing with him. We would wake up early Saturday mornings and just the two of us would go fishing. As we would drive to the various fishing locations, if we saw road kill on the way, my dad would say that was a good omen of a good fishing day. I remember him teaching me how to gut a fish. That was, um, memorable.
There are many memories that I have watching my dad and being amazed at his patience as he dealt with the different quarrels that would arise with 4 or more teenage girls in the house.
I remember one night after dinner I asked my dad what he was doing that night. He said, “I don’t know.” And then went around the table and asked each one of us if we needed any help with homework. It struck me that he put his family first before himself. He was always there when I had a math problem.
My dad has a wonderful sense of humor and would often tease us. I remember one time I had tried out for the high school choir. My dad teased me that I would show up to school one day and that a good friend of mine would be dressed in their PJ”s and I would find out that in the morning they had kidnapped all the people that made the choir and I would find out that I hadn’t made the choir. Well, that week I went to school and my friend was in her PJ”s. She then told me that they had kidnapped everyone who had made the choir that morning. It was a blunt way to find out I hadn’t made the choir. I came home devastated and was hesitant to tell my dad. When he found out though, he pulled me into the den and said, “You know Rachel, the same thing happened to me.” At these times he often would pull out his scriptures and relate a gospel story to me to help me with my perspective.
When I was 12 I asked for a Franklin Day Planner for Christmas. My dad had one, and I always thought how efficient it was. My dad had attended a Franklin Covey training and when I got my planner he pulled me aside one day and taught me all that he had learned in the training on how to budget my time, how to set priorities, and the ins and outs of the planner. He was always a wonderful teacher.
I was listening to a news program that said how people envision Heavenly Father to have characteristics of their fathers. The people on the program talked about how their father’s were dictators and unapproachable. I felt so grateful that I had a father how lead with kindness and humor.
Those are just a few memories that I have been thinking about lately. I have always looked up to and admired my dad.
I love you, Dad.
4 comments:
What sweet tribute from a sweet daughter!!!! I'm glad you have good memories of me. You sure left me with a lot of good ones! Love, Dad
Oh geez! I thought your dad had just died or something! That's really sweet though.
That was beautiful, Rache. I don't know your dad, but one of the greatest tributes to him is the incredible daughter he raised.
these are wonderful. a true treasure.
Post a Comment