Bailey Family

Bailey Family

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Super Hero Birthday

This past weekend Drew had his 6th birthday. Because Drew and Park are all the time playing super hero's and love to dress up in their Spiderman/Batman/Buzz Lightyear costumes, Troy and I thought it would be fun to do a Super Hero Party. I will do my best in describing the party.
Drew invited 2 friends, Spencer and Kaie. We sent them invitations saying that they were invited to a super hero training. When they first arrived we had them come into the family room. In our house the upstairs hall opens up and over looks the family room. We set up an obstacle course in the family room that they had to go through and get to the other side of the room. On a chair on the other side of the room I had made them each a cape (thanks Sandra for posting the pictures on your blog about the capes your mom sent. I was trying to figure out how to make capes with out having it tie around the neck.) But to add to the fun Troy stood up on the balcony and 'bombed' them with pillows. If they were hit with a pillow or touched one on the ground they had to start again. It was so fun to watch them diving across the floor, and get bombed.


The boys all put the capes on and we then went downstairs for the rest of the training. Troy had this great vision for our unfinished basement to set it up as a little gym for the boys. We have a mini tramp, balance beams, a jump rope, rope climb, hop scotch, and Chinese jump ropes. This gym worked perfectly for the party. We had the boys jump on the tramp and go across the balance beams to 'work on agility'. Then we had them do the rope climb. When they reached the top they were able to get their masks.

Then we had a bean bag toss that when they got 50 points they earned a shield. They then practiced their shield techniques as Troy tossed fire and ice bombs ,wiffle balls, at them and they used their shields to defect the fire and ice bombs.


We then had a table set up with dart guns and little pirate men that they each took turns trying to shoot the pirates.

And what birthday party isn't complete without a pinata. We found a mean pirate one they all enjoyed taking a whack at.

It's crazy to think that Drew is 6 now. Everyone says, but it is so true, that they grow up so fast. Drew is such an amazing boy and is such an example to me. I believe that Heavenly Father sends the strongest spirits first. Drew is so patient with me and helps me along in learning this parenting thing.

I will always remember that a few weeks before I had Drew I was working at UVRMC in the billing department. It was early spring, and I had some paperwork to deliver to the hospital. I was walking from the billing office to the hospital in the warm sunshine thinking about how fun it will be to have Drew in my arms. I was caught up in thinking about him when I had an overwhelming feeling that Drew would be one of my best friends. I love you Drew!

7 comments:

Sandra Nixon said...

That is the awesomest party ever! I will have to copy you some day. I am so glad you used the cape idea from my mom, isn't that the greatest way to make a cape?
I am jealous of your unfinished basement by the way:)

Jamie said...

That is a great party! Wow! From the pictures it looks like they had a great time. How did you do the capes?

Suzanne said...

I'm so glad you posted the details of the party. Spencer had a great time and told me a little about it but your explanation makes it so clear. How fun & creative. I'm sure the boys will remember this party for a long time.

The Karrens said...

I love that the capes wrap around the arms. I am going to steal that idea. Sounds like he had lots of fun and I think Troy enjoyed it too. Happy Birthday Andrew, we miss you.

Jamie said...

such a great idea, I bet the kids will remember that for a long time!

Unknown said...

When can the rest of us come and go through the course! That looks like fun!

jenica said...

i want you to be my mama.

xxoo

ps, my word verification is FISTS, which i think is fitting for super heroes.