Bailey Family

Bailey Family

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Major Award

My mother in law called us the other night and told us of a 'major award' she had received. We loved the idea, so we copied it and it will now be our traditional family home evening the Monday before Christmas. So this is how it goes.

We purchased a bottle of sparkling cider for each of the boys. I put a note on each bottles of cider that read:

You are the winner of
(insert child's name here)
favorite Christmas decorations!
Merry Christmas!



Then the fun begins. We loaded the crew up in the car, picked a neighborhood, and looked at the Christmas lights. We then had the boys pick their favorite house. Once a house was chosen, the boy who chose the house would go to the front door and award the prize to the lucky winner.

P was all over this idea, A kept saying "Nothing you say will make me do this." And D was excited to be driving around looking for snowmen. P picked his house first. (We don't have a picture of P's house. When T went back to take a picture of the house P chose, people were outside at all 3 driveby's T did.) P jumped out of the car, and with me by his side walked right up to the house. After ringing the doorbell, a young dad opened the door. P announced "I like your Christmas decorations. Merry Christmas." Then P handed the man his 'award', I waved, and P and I walked back to the car. The man looked a little confused, but by the time we were pulling away, the man was out on his front porch waving enthusiastically at us.

Then D spotted a huge snowman. Did I mention that D loves snowmen right now. We sing 'Once There Was a Snowman' at least 3 times every day.

(If you squint your eyes you can see the snowman on the left side of the picture.)

I got D out of the car and we walked up to the door. After ringing the doorbell and waiting for a few minutes, a gal about my age came and looked out the window at me. (I didn't mention that my hair was in pigtails and I was still in my PJ's, did I?) Well after taking me in, she mouthed to me, through the window, "I don't know you." I smiled and just waved back. After mouthing this a few times and me standing there waving, she took pity and opened the door. After she opened the door, I explained to her that we were driving around, letting our kids pick their favorite Christmas decorations, and that with the snowman, she had won D's prize, she suddenly perked up, and with a smile started talking with me as if we were old friends.

After our nice chat, I walked D back to the car, and realized that I was having a lot more fun than the boys, as A in the back kept saying, "You can't make me do this."

T told A that he didn't have to, and that P would do it for him. This was all it took for A to change his mind and pick his favorite house.

(It's hard to see in the picture but this is a miniature Santa's workshop, complete with moving elves, Santa and a train.)

A and I went to the door to award this house. The man here was older and was very eager to tell us all about his Santa workshop he had constructed over 17 years ago, and that the city was after him to display it downtown, and so on and so on.

So by the end of the night, even though nothing we could do would make A give his award away, he sure had a big smile on his face as we were getting in the car and driving home.

5 comments:

The Karrens said...

Cute idea! Miss you guys!

Mere said...

Ok - I LOVED this idea and want our family to implement it next year, too. Spencer isn't so sure, but I think he'll enjoy it once we're out there (and as long as he doesn't have to go up to anyone's door!)Hugs --

Unknown said...

That is so fun. We actually did it too. The first two houses we went to weren't home. I sent the girls up to the next house, (I was determined to not get out of the car)and the older lady that lived there kept asking the girls things so I had to eventually get out and go get them. She was asking them how she knew us and what family they were from, etc. The girls didn't know what to say. The next house Bry went with them. He actually had a huge long conversation with the guy there. It was fun. We'll probably do it every year too.

Michelle and Nathan said...

I love this idea thanks for sharing. We'll have to start it next year. Awesome. I think the PJs and pigtails should also be part of the tradition.

Unknown said...

I started this tradition with my grandkids last night. The kids were timid at first, but then they one by one, got excited when they chose their favorite house. Leah was first and she jumped from the car, rang the doorbell and when a teenager came to the door she said...your lights are my favorite! The dad came to the door on crutches and I explained what we were doing...so cool, thank you, they both kept saying. Next was JP and the nice lady invited us in and yelled for her husband to come. She showed us her village collection on the grand piano and her nativity that had been passed down from her mother many years before....they were so gacious and appreciative. Then Allison chose her house, but no one was home, so she said "I will find another one lets go". And we did. An older gentleman came to the door and I explained that Alli had chosen his lights as her favorite. Again we were invited in to see his beautiful christmas tree...he showed her each handblown European bulb on a massive tree. He said that he was from Poland and that he had collected the bulbs over many years. He asked me if Alli could have some candy and I said yes. All four of the kids were given fancy swiss chocolates! He said thank you many times. David was last and he chose a pretty simply decorated house....he just liked the green and white lights together, he said.....I could see through the window that the couple were at the table eating, so I was not sure how they would react. When we told the gentleman that he had been chosen as Davids favorite decorations, his face lit up and he said it was just he and his wife now, their children were all grown and it sure was great that his work was appreciated. All told us Merry Christmas and all I can say is that it was a joyful experience for all!!!