Bailey Family

Bailey Family

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Third annual Major Awards

Well, the news must be out in our community, because the Christmas decorations have been taken to the next level this year.  We decided to change the actual award this year, due to 'A' pointing out that it looked like we were handing out bottles of wine as an award.  So we went with the next best thing to sparkling cider, Little Debbie snack cakes.


I used the same poem as last year.

But enough of the introduction, lets get onto what everyone is waiting for, who won these major awards!

The minute we got into the car, 'D' started pointing out any house that had any sort of Christmas decoration.  Troy kept trying to get him to look at all the houses, and then pick the best one, but 'D' just couldn't wait.  We went to the next house he saw (this house had one strand of lights across the garage) and 'D', 'W', and I got out and rang the door bell.  When the couple came to the door, 'D' handed them the prize as I explained that we drive around and let the kids pick their favorite Christmas decorations, and their house was the lucky house.  They were honestly ecstatic. The wife laughed and asked for a hug, to which 'W' yelled out, "NO!"  She laughed again and ran into the house to get a candy canes for the two of them.  (This put kind of a high expectation for the boys with the rest of the houses - that everyone was going to give us candy.  I kept reminding the boys that this was Christmas, not Halloween.)

Next 'P' found a house that had at least twenty inflatable Christmas decorations on the front lawn.  As I got out with 'P', after he rang the doorbell, a woman came to the door and muttered, "Now what is he selling?" She went to give her dog to someone to hold so the dog couldn't get out.  Then she opened the door and nicely said, "Hello."  'P' handed her the Little Debbie's and said, "Merry Christmas!"  She looked at me confused.  I explained the award to her, she put her head down and just laughed and laughed.  After I got into the car, Troy and I laughed, thinking that there was probably a family debate about how much inflatable decorations they put out, and the award just added fuel to someone's fire.

'W' wasn't to hard to please either.  We found a house with an inflatable snowman and I took him to the door. (You are probably wondering, "Why is Rachel taking all the kids to the door?  Where was Troy?  Was he being chicken and staying in the van?  Or maybe you didn't notice.  We'll get back to the story.) When a man opened the door, 'W' yelled out, "Merry Kwismas!" and I explained to him what the award was.  He to seemed genuinely happy to have been a recipient of a major award such as this.

But 'A' kept striking out.  We went to a couple of houses and no one was home.  By the time we finally found a home where someone was home, 'A' was happy to have completed the major awards.

So there you have it.  The 2012 Major Awards!    

4 comments:

Mike said...

I love this tradition! I hope you know we're going to totally steal this idea.

Unknown said...

The question must be answered about Troy! My vote is he had a lame excuse!

Troy and Rach said...

Troy was in the van telling me how the awards would come better from a kid and his mom, not a kid as his dad. I told him he was a chicken, and he told me how brave I was. I couldn't argue with that.

Kelly said...

Love this and I keep forgetting to do it!